Diabetes, the most common endocrine disorder, encountered in clinical practice, occurs due to decreased secretion of insulin, a hormone produced from pancreas, an endocrine gland.
The common endocrine disorders are the following:
- Thyroid disorders- Hypothyroidism, Hyperthyroidism, Goitre, Thyroid Cancers
- Sexual disorders, Erectile dysfunction, Hypogonadism & Male infertility
- Hirsutism (Excessive facial or body hair in females)
- Polycystic ovary disease (PCOD or PCOS) and other female hormone disorders
- Short Stature & Growth disorders
- Delayed & premature puberty (delayed or early development of various secondary sexual characters in boys or girls)
- Osteoporosis (low bone density)
- Metabolic bone diseases – Vitamin D deficiency, Rickets, Osteomalacia, Hyperparathyroidism
- Pituitary disorders – Pituitary tumors, raised pituitary hormone levels (e.g. Prolactin, GH, etc.), deficiency of pituitary hormones, Diabetes insipidus
- Adrenal disorders – Adrenal tumors, Cushing’s syndrome, Pheochromocytoma, Adrenal failure
- Disorder of Sexual Development – Small penis, Hidden Testis, Genital ambiguity, Gynecomastia (development of breast tissue in males), Turner’s syndrome, Klinefelter’s syndrome
- Other endocrine disorders- Insulinoma, Neuroendocrine Tumors, MEN syndrome, PGA syndrome etc.
Dr Satish Raju